Sunday 1 February 2015

Ramblings of a Planner

It's the beginning of February and the start of using my new template mentioned here - I had lots of chilling out time, watching a film with my hubby, sorting bits out in my little room, having a planning session, generally just pottering around, getting the laundry done (yes, this is the only chore I actually like to do!).  I like days like this!  I'm planning on a nice hot bubbly bath later to end the day.

Makes me realise that I don't do it enough, I don't make the time to do it, I have the time but I don't make the time - instead I procrastinate my time away on the internet...I'd hate to see how much actual time I waste just doing nothing in particular, nothing that I actually enjoy doing, I'm just doing, Nothing more.

What did we do with our time before the internet?  Before Facebook?  Before Twitter?  Before Instagram?  How did we communicate with each other?  Oh that's right, we talked, we wrote letters, we went out to the local pub or restaurant...what a shame no one really does that anymore.  No-one really writes letters anymore either, and that is such a real shame as it would seem that thanks to texting no-one can even spell or use grammar anymore either!  I hate text talk and I hate reading posts on Facebook where even the most basic of grammar is incorrect, it really grates on my nerves.  
  • There is no space between the word and an exclamation mark
  • Does is not the same spelling as dose
  • To know something is not to no something
  • U/ur instead of you/your is just plain lazy!!  (In the days that there was an issue with the amount of characters you could text it was almost acceptable but not these days!)

I feel old and antiquated sometimes...but the art of writing is dying and it is such a colossal shame.  I love handwriting, especially the old fashioned cursive and calligraphy, I adore looking at old postcards and letters from the vintage era, even the language is different...more sincere and even romantic.

Anyway I digress.  I don't think I'm that keen on this age of everything being so fast-paced that you can't even think properly.  Don't get me wrong I love the efficiency of it all but it's all so - characterless and impersonal.

Maybe this explains my love of paper and stationery.  I love pretty notepads and fountain pens.  I used to love sitting down and handwriting a letter to a friend, but this doesn't happen anymore.  We still 'write' but it is in electronic form which has the advantage of being able to share photographs and images within the letter itself but that only goes some way into personalising it.

We have our paper planners and we love them, we love writing in them and decorating them but to what end?  To enable us to cram so much into our schedules that we barely have time to sit down and relax, reflect and recharge.  We actually have to schedule in time out!!  Ironic really.

There are so many issues to deal with and from watching You tube and reading Facebook there is a common theme - we are all totally obsessed with what other people think of us that we spend all our precious time trying to please them, be what they expect us to be, do what we are expected to do.  We all have quote upon quote about being yourself, being true to yourself, enjoy life, reminders to love yourself, laugh often, be unique, think positive, etc.  Do we really need this constant reminder because we are actually not being ourselves, enjoying life, laughing and being unique?  Are we all so pessimistic that we need positive quotes everywhere?  

Even in my own little room I have bought wall art that says "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams - live the life you've always imagined" and "Life doesn't get easier you just get stronger" - when did I get so weak that I needed these positive reinforcements everywhere I look?  

In the rush to get success, promotion, acknowledged and rewarded in life we have simply forgotten how to live.  I'm not so sure I want to live like that anymore.  It's exhausting!!  I'm sure our ancestors didn't need this constant reminder, they got on with their lives the best they could, with what they had.  Is there an almost urgent desire to have something better than someone else as a measurement of success.  I am my own worst enemy when it comes to that, I have more designer bags and accessories than is required and I'm sure it doesn't make anyone stop and think "Wow I want to be just like her because she is so successful and has the perfect life" - or does it?  Do we gauge our own success on what we have materialistically?  Do we gauge the success of others on what they have?  I guess our ancestors may have had the same kind of thing but it was how many chickens they had, or whether they had shoes on their feet, or a bed to sleep in - makes you think really...

Oh well, rambling over, I'd better get back to scheduling next week, I've got a lot on!!

Until next time, take care



No comments:

Post a Comment