Tuesday 2 June 2015

The KonMari Method of Tidying

There is something to be said for clearing out the clutter, it has such a wonderful effect on your mind and spirit.  It seems to cleanse everything, well it does for me anyway!  

I have started on a journey using the book - The Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo, known affectionately to her followers as the Konmari Method - or even KM - and it is a most wonderful experience.  I have only just started but I can already feel the effects, the calmness that is spreading over my homelife is giving me the inspiration to use this in all areas of my life to enhance it, to nuture it, to simplify its existence...I know, it sounds too good to be true and it may not be for everyone but it is for me and I love it!

It involves getting rid of everything that does not spark joy.  It is actually that simple.


Yes, that little statement pretty much sums it up in a nutshell and is now my mantra.  

There is a method to follow, it starts with clothing as this aspect is meant to be the easiest to do as far as guilt trips are concerned, you know being able to throw away that hideous jumper your Aunt knitted for you just before she died, or the wedding gift from the aged relative, or the present from a friend for your birthday...all these things, these burdens, weigh heavily on emotions and space - get rid of them!  If they do not spark joy then they have no use to you in your life or your home, say thank you and bid it farewell.

I started on my clothing...

From this

To this

And my drawers went from this





To this



And the result:



Not only that but my bedside drawers have also been done and following drawer envy from my husband, his have also now been done!

I have enlisted the help of my friend to go through my handbags and shoes...this is not something i am looking forward to!!  

What I have noticed in going through this process is that everything is being looked at differently, each area of my home I come across is getting a mini treatment which isn't what is recommended but I cant help it!!  It is not the turn of the kitchen yet but every time I go in there I am seeing something else and throwing it away or rehousing it to a more appropriate place!

It's extremely therapeutic and I am finding the whole process to be refreshing, even my Hubby is noticing the difference in the house and he is loving it - let's see if that's still the case when I send him into the garage to do that!  Lol.

Until next time, take care xxx

1 comment:

  1. Impressive, I try to keep my clothes in some sort of order so I can see what I've got and so I wear them all, not just the first ones that are easy to get to!

    ReplyDelete