Friday 24 April 2015

Slimming down the VDS

I think I may have finally found my peace.  I have bought a new planner and I couldn't wait to move in and set it up...it's another VDS Touch Me in senior size but in classic black!  I have decided that this is the size for me for my everyday carry - and trust me I don't/won't go anywhere without this!! It's not that it has tons of important meetings, appointments or information in it, it's just because I feel lost without it in my possession.  What if I needed to write something?  I do sometimes get the urge to just write something, anything, and it's always when I am paperless...so I no longer allow that situation to happen by always having my planner with me, always.



I have designed and created some new inserts as I felt as though my calendar was taking up too much space for the information I need.  This was resulting in less paper space for me to write my sudden urges in whatever they may be!  

After having a good look at my calendar I have realised that I do have appointments but usually just one in any one day but the days are also used, in the main, for to-do's and little reminders.  I tried using a rolling list but it just didn't work for me as I couldn't tell when I needed to do what and that was frustrating so I ended up having to write it on the day as well which defeated the object of having a rolling list.  I also thought of using sticky notes but the additional clutter would stress me out.

Then in a moment of clarity I realised!  If I reduced my calendar to week per page and then only added in a to-do list when I had lots to do then I could throw it away once completed - AND I had the idea of putting the days on it so that I knew what needed to be done and when...genius if I do say so myself!  If there isn't much to be done that week then I can simply write my to-do on the day, if there is loads then I can add a sheet...it really isn't rocket science and I kind of already took this approach many years ago when I lived out of a pocket planner as my main and only planner...(I'd love to know how I did that!!)  I used to have a week on two pages and my to-do's were added to the day, on those days where I had tons to do I used a to-do list - and I always had loads of room in my planner and now I'm thinking that was before the multitude of  'sections' and copious amounts of sticky notes, page flags and oli clips - they all take up that space!  I NEVER use them either, nor do I use paper clips or project life type cards...I didn't even have dividers back then!  I don't have tabbed dividers now either but I do have my glittery tab-free ones that I love, love, love!!  It's all about the glitter :)


Anyway, whatever it was I used to be able to do when life was so much less complicated, I can't do it now, it just doesn't work for me anymore.  I don't know why, I've tried to remember, to figure it out but alas I have no idea!

I will update once I have had a chance to run with this system and let you know how it goes :)

Until next time, take care xxx




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good system.

    Some things work for me all the time, too, like a weekly spread. Some things never work (like not having a time overview like a monthly spread). Some things just depend on my life at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll figure it out one day Giftie! I have a monthly spread that I fill in as soon as I print them out but for some reason I never seem to look at them again! Two weeks into this new layout and it seems to be working :) Fingers crossed that I've found my peace!

      Delete